New krag owner trying to learn more about them

U.S. Military Krags
Gunnutz

Re: New krag owner trying to learn more about them

Post by Gunnutz » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:36 am

butlersrangers, l will check that website out for front sight blade, thank you. I just stopped by the gunsmith shop today and l think l am just going to have him refinish the stock, he got all the baby crap brown thick paint stripped off and l really cant nor could he, believe what a beautiful piece of walnut was hiding under it. He has done quite a few older military firearms and he said he has never seen wood like that. It is nickel finish on it and in very good shape he said it was done very well so l am going leave it alone. He set the barrel w/action back in the stock and it looks pretty good. I will get some pics posted as soon as l get back. He is going to do an oil finish so l am excited to see the finished product

Gunnutz

Post by Gunnutz » Sat May 02, 2020 1:44 am

Hi all, just got my other Krag back today from the gunsmith. I had the stock stripped and refinished, he put 10 coats of tiny oil on, worked on the trigger pull, fixed a couple cracks in the stock, replaced two pieces of wood that were missing just in front of the bolt handle and just in front of the side plate and glass bedded the action, it was a little loose in the stock. Still amazed at the wood on this 120ish year old military rifle

Gunnutz

Post by Gunnutz » Sat May 02, 2020 1:46 am

More pics

Gunnutz

Post by Gunnutz » Sat May 02, 2020 1:48 am

Krag pics

Gunnutz

Post by Gunnutz » Sat May 02, 2020 1:50 am

Pics

Gunnutz

Post by Gunnutz » Sat May 02, 2020 2:07 am

I debated about the nickel finish if l should have him get it back to blued but it is in good condition and l ended up liking the contrast of the natural walnut with the nickel plating so l am going to leave it that way. Not sure if anyone can give me any info on the he sights it looks like a SA installed front sight but lm not sure. The barrel has been cut to 23 1/2 inches on it. Would that be something SA would have done? Cutting the barrel down reinstall the front sight and put nickel plate finish to make a ceremony gun or parade gun? Thank you for any info you can give on it

Whig

Post by Whig » Sat May 02, 2020 2:11 pm

Gunnutz-

Your reworked Krag looks great with that wonderful new stock finish. Very nicely done and it certainly has brightened up the rifle dramatically. I have a nickel plated Krag rifle and, even though it has no military collector's value, I bought it because it looks neat! The nickel plating is much nicer than the chrome plating crap I've seen.

Generally, Springfield Armory did not refinish Krags in nickel or chrome and did not create "parade" rifles. They did create school rifles to be used at certain military institutions but not like ours. Your barrel was apparently cut and a new front sight was put on by someone else.

Your front sight, in the one picture, looks a little off. The top of the sight base looks non-parallel to the barrel. The base does look like a good welding or brazing job but I can't see the entire base.

The pictures below show how precisely Springfield Armory brazed the bases on the Krag barrels. It is seemless and almost invisible. There can be seen a small rim where the brazing was done but very light in most cases.

Otherwise, you have a nice Krag. You can shoot it, if the action is sound, and enjoy it. Many pitted barrels have enough rifling to still be very accurate. Don't worry about that.

Good job!

Whig

Post by Whig » Sat May 02, 2020 2:16 pm

Here are pictures of my Nickel Plated Krag.

Gunnutz

Post by Gunnutz » Sun May 03, 2020 8:09 pm

Whig, your nickel plated krag looks great, very clean. After looking at your front sights in the pics l noticed mine looks different at the base, it doesnt flare out as much front and back, could mine have been cut off when the barrel got shortened and re-welder maybe? That may be why it shoots about 14 high at 50yds here is another pic of my front sight.

Gunnutz

Post by Gunnutz » Sun May 03, 2020 8:14 pm

Whig, l meant to ask, which rear sight is that on your nickel krag? Im still trying to learn about them all, thank you