New krag owner trying to learn more about them

U.S. Military Krags
Whig

Re: New krag owner trying to learn more about them

Post by Whig » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:05 pm

That's the M1902 rear carbine sight with the Sgt Peep flip-up aperture to assist sighting. The carbine base was graduated different for the carbine but the slide is the same on both.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:01 am

'Gunnutz' - The model 1902 carbine sight that you appear to have on your rifle is a rare sight. Only 1,000 were made.

Although rare, your 1902 carbine sight is not in high demand, so it does not seem to command the price that the other Krag carbine sights do.

The model 1902 rifle sight is correct for your Krag and very common.
The 1902 rifle sight-base is taller than the carbine version. Your rifle will likely shoot quite low, at 100 yards, with its present incorrect rear-sight.

Gunnutz

Post by Gunnutz » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:48 pm

A couple more pics, trying to get a better rear sight pic

Gunnutz

Post by Gunnutz » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:05 pm

Thank you butlersrangers for that info, its great to have people with the knowledge about these guns for us newbees to learn from. Its interesting because the other 1898 that l have also has that same rear sight. The front sight blade on the other one seems much shorter almost seems like it is worn down kind of rounded off more than this one. I have shot the other one with factory loads 180 gr Hornady soft points it shoots 14-16 high at 50yds, may have to try to find a replacement blade for the front sight if they are available anywhere. Thanks again guys for the info and sharing your knowledge very much appreciated

Capt. Frank

Post by Capt. Frank » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:08 pm

When I bought my Krag, it's barrel looked rough. After cleaning with Hoppe's no. 9, and C4 carbon remover, it looked fair. Then I used Kroil, and JB's bore cleaning compound. Now the bore looks good, and shoots very accurately.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:11 pm

Reproduction Krag front-sight blades can be purchased from S&S Firearms, Glendale, N.Y. (Their Catalog is view-able online).

The Krag front-sight pin is tapered. It should be driven Left to Right. The rifle blade (alone) is normally .413" tall, when measured out of its base.

A taller front-sight will lower the point on the target where your 'cut-down' rifle groups.

Since this Krag's barrel was shortened, the front sight base was undoubtedly re-attached.
The base is very likely shorter than it was originally.

You might be further ahead just making a new 'taller' blade (out of a coin, sheet metal, or brass) and experimenting.

It is unlikely an original blade will be quite the right height, because the location and base height have all been changed.
These changes have altered the 'sighting angle' to the point you are shooting a foot high.

Maybe the gunsmith, you have working on this Krag, can estimate, make, and insert a taller blade, while he has your gun?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:25 pm

Just an after thought on your 'cut-down' Krag.

Plated or Chromed, painted stock, shortend barrel .... It is likely this was made into a 'parade rifle' by some Veterans or Drill Group.

IMHO - You don't want to pour too much money into this Krag.

Whig

Post by Whig » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:40 pm

The chrome or nickel plated Krags were only used for parades or other celebratory purposes. If done well, they can look really neat. I have one in my collection that was nickel plated. I bought it because it is in nice condition and the nickel plating is excellent. But, as Butlers says above, they are not in much demand and not very valuable.

All Krags can be collected and enjoyed. If yours is plated, though, it may need the bore and chamber checked out. Sometimes these were altered to allow only blanks to be shot or to prevent shooting altogether. Some of these parade rifles had the firing pin removed or striker hole welded shut. Also, if the bore was plated along with the external metal, it could affect proper function with a .30 caliber bullet.

So, be cautious if considering trying to shoot the parade rifle.

I sent a personal message to you. Look at the top of the page to link to your message.

Can you post pictures of the parade rifle?

Thanks!

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:58 pm

As Butlersrangers mentioned above...replacement Krag front sights can be purchased from S & S firearms.

Here's a link to their website which list an extra tall front sight that can be filed down to meet your needs.

https://www.ssfirearms.com/products.asp?cat=124&pg=5

Gunnutz

Post by Gunnutz » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:16 am

Thank you Capt. Frank l will try that, so far l have tried shooters choice and sweats 7.62. I dont have a borescope but if l hold it up to a light it looks like it has some pitting in the chamber and in the barrel, not sure if it had Ammo with corrosive primers shot in it and not cleaned or just neglected over its lifetime. The rest of the gun on the outside looks great, like a 120 year patina. I am going to try your method and see if it will clean up some more. Thank you all for welcoming me to your forum and for the ongoing knowledge you share, these rifles are a great part of our firearms history and l am enjoying learning more about them.