Captain S. H. Ottenhausen

U.S. Military Krags
Whig

Re: Captain S. H. Ottenhausen

Post by Whig » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:41 pm

I searched and found my copies of Rules For The Management for the Krag, 1898 and Springfield Trapdoor and Army Pistol, also 1898. Filled with tons of detailed info about these firearms.

My Krag manual is labeled inside the cover belonging to the Preparedness Club of Cleveland. Not as interesting a previous owner as yours!

Fred G.

Post by Fred G. » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:58 am

Oh I think your books are better. Theye in Great shape!

Fred G.

Post by Fred G. » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:11 am

Here is a list of the men in the unit

http://genealogytrails.com/ill/stephenson/militaryspanish.html

Knute1

Post by Knute1 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:31 am

That is great stuff. I am not native to Freeport, but have lived here for 38 years. Some of the names on the roster are still common to the area (Lentz, Barth, Ottenhauser, etc.). I'm trying to figure out where the picture was taken. The houses may or may not be still standing. The oldest part of my old farmhouse is from 1890 and I know the effort to keep an old house with a limestone foundation intact.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:59 am

Is the monument marking the site of the Lincoln-Douglas Debate still standing at Freeport, Illinois?
(I suspect the homes are gone and the area is now 'developed city' surrounding Freeport's "Debate Square").

A 1903 Presidential dedication of "Debate Rock", with "TR" in the neighborhood. (Copyright date is misleading).

Apparently, the plaque was put on the two-ton rock in 1902. The dedication by President Roosevelt occurred in 1903.

Maybe, the photo of Company L - Indiana National Guard was taken at 1902 or 1903 events, rather then in 1898, when "Co. L" first returned home from Cuba & Puerto Rico?

Neat thread!

Knute1

Post by Knute1 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:27 am

I did not pick up on the monument being the site of the Lincoln-Douglas debate. Nor did I know that TR dedicated it. Wow, right underneath my nose, too. The monument is on a different foundation and I'm not sure how close it is to the original location. But, yes, the houses are gone and there is quite a bit of space around the monument. It is next to an old-timey ice cream parlor where there is great expectation every Spring when it opens (well, delayed this year, of course). Freeport takes much pride in it being a debate site.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:12 am

The setting appears prettier in 1903!
Since the monument marked the site of the Famous Debate, when Lincoln posed the historic "Dilemma Question", that two-ton stone has not likely been moved very far.

Reading some of the material supplied by Fred G., I see that, the 6th Illinois N.G. Regiment was shipped from Springfield, Ill. to Camp Alger in Northern Virginia.

They bivouacked at Camp Alger, near Washington D.C., until being transported to Santiago, Cuba, and from there to Puerto Rico.
I would hazard to guess, the 6th Illinois N.G. was issued 'Trap-Door' Springfield rifles, at Camp Alger for the Cuba Campaign. When they embarked for Puerto Rico, they likely were issued Krag magazine rifles in Cuba.

I have a paper bond book on Camp Alger, which is an interesting read. Two of the Michigan Regiments, (33rd Mich. and 34th Mich.), also were sent to Camp Alger. They had a shorter stay in Virginia and got to Cuba in time to see some action.

This interesting book has references to the 6th Illinois N.G., but not, Co. L or Simon Ottenhausen specifically.

I have attached some content for everyone's enjoyment:

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:42 am

More "City of Canvas" stuff:

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:51 am

The 6th Mass. and 6th Illinois left Camp Alger on the same date, July 5, 1898, headed for Santiago, Cuba.

Arriving in Cuba, after the surrender of Santiago, both of these regiments were, subsequently, sent to invade Puerto Rico, likely re-equipped with Krag rifles.
(The land campaign in Puerto Rico lasted from July 25 to August 13, 1898, Ceasefire).

Attached pictures show a young 6th Mass. Soldier, (C.J. Duffy, Co. "C"), who went to Puerto Rico. He has a Krag, tropical uniform, and Spanish 'cockade' on his campaign hat.
(I saved this photo from off an ebay listing, a few years back).
A detail from a picture, (from "City of Canvass"), showing the 6th Mass leaving Camp Alger for Cuba with T-D Springfield rifles.
The Mass'. men seem to favor the 'Montana Peak' on their hats:

Knute1

Post by Knute1 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:51 am

That is some good stuff. Thanks