Crummy stock wanted, reasonable (in other words cheap)

For poking fun and off topic subjects
Dick Hosmer

Crummy stock wanted, reasonable (in other words cheap)

Post by Dick Hosmer » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:16 am

Anyone have a '96 or '98 - matters not - rifle stock that is broken, buggered, split, ruined, etc. in the rear but with a nice/good fore end, with which they would be willing to part, cheap? I'd rather use real Krag wood than a new piece. Failing that, does anyone have a new fore end that they messed up in inletting for the upper band, that they've not yet had the heart to throw away? I'll be cutting 4" off anyhow. Swallowing my pride here. Thanks in advance.

Dick Hosmer

Re: Crummy stock wanted, reasonable (in other words cheap)

Post by Dick Hosmer » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:31 pm

Well, that certainly fell flat - 30 looks and nary a comment, not even an insulting one! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guess I'll have to look elsewhere.

FredC

Post by FredC » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:10 pm

The only original Krag wood I have is on my rifle inherited from my father and it is in good shape other than having the cartouches sanded off.
Only other wood I have is left over from the house build and did not think you wanted pine 2 x 4 fragments. Let me know if they would do. :-)

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:02 am

I don't think members are ignoring your inquiry, Dick.
Probably, no one has the original wood forearm 'bit', you are searching for.

I suspect you will have to settle for new wood and either shape a forearm from a solid piece of walnut or buy one manufactured with lightening-cuts, like the $46 Numrich Arms reproduction forearm. (This item is listed on 'page 16', if you search 'Krag Parts' on their website).

I would be glad to give you a block of black walnut, if you want to try shaping one from scratch.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:48 pm

I'm not offended in the least - the whole thing was sort of tongue-in-cheek to begin with. Many DIY'ers could make use of such an item, and I would be loathe to part with one if the shoe was on the other foot.