Pearl Harbor Day

For poking fun and off topic subjects
butlersrangers

Pearl Harbor Day

Post by butlersrangers » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:17 pm

Not many people alive now, who directly experienced these events, but ....

Amazing how things, that happened before most of us were born, influenced us and continue to impact the world.

Thanks to those who sacrificed!
Attachments
a Pearl Harbor salute-ed.jpg
a Pearl Harbor salute-ed.jpg (142.63 KiB) Viewed 133 times

Local Boy

Re: Pearl Harbor Day

Post by Local Boy » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:12 pm

Thanks BR for remembering!

Mom was a ten year old girl living in Honolulu when Pearl Harbor was attacked...she remembered a lot of loud explosions and smoke in the distance.

As a young boy growing up in Hawaii we really got a kick watching planes fly by that were used in the filming of the movie "Tora, Tora Tora."

BTW: My father was a Navy salvage diver who helped raise one of the Japanese midget subs.

For years we had the midget sub's wheel in the corner of our living room...not sure but I think my older brother has it...cool bit of history!
Attachments
Krag Tora.jpg
Krag Tora.jpg (230 KiB) Viewed 126 times

Knute1

Re: Pearl Harbor Day

Post by Knute1 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:10 am

I have this old Atwater Kent AM radio that was built in 1930. It was left in the first house my Dad purchased and now it is in my home. It still works. This time of year my wife and I put her grandmother's Nativity scene on it. I can imagine that on December 8, 1941 (the day after the Pearl Harbor attack) that a family had gathered around this radio to here President Franklin D. Roosevelt's "a date which will live in infamy" speech.
Attachments
NativityRadioA.jpg
NativityRadioA.jpg (302.62 KiB) Viewed 116 times