Norwegian Krag Medal

For poking fun and off topic subjects
Whig

Norwegian Krag Medal

Post by Whig » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:55 pm

I found this interesting medal on ebay recently and had to get it for my Krag collection. I have never seen any of these before. Pretty neat medal from 1966 celebrating Ole Krag and Erik Jorgensen. The "Det Frivillige Skyttervesen" evidently is the Norwegian Civilian Marksmanship Program in Norway. It's over 2 inches in diameter and weighs a lot. I think it is bronze.

I haven't found anything on their website or anywhere else about this medal and why it was produced. Did either of these guys do something else important in 1866?

So, I thought I'd share this interesting medal and see if anyone else has seen these or knows anything about them. I'll have to do some more searching.

Thanks.
Attachments
IMG_0555.jpeg
IMG_0555.jpeg (578.7 KiB) Viewed 246 times
IMG_0552.jpeg
IMG_0552.jpeg (507.68 KiB) Viewed 246 times

butlersrangers

Re: Norwegian Krag Medal

Post by butlersrangers » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:52 pm

That is a super neat item, Whig!

I don't know, but, possibly it is a 'Third Place' shooting match or participant award, for a competition held in Norway in 1966.

It would be a real hoot to inlet it into the stock of a Krag to confuse posterity. :ugeek:

(If you have not already done so, it would be productive to post on Gunboards - Scandinavian, Danish, and U.S. Krags Forum).

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:43 pm

"OK", I got mine installed. I went with a 'silver medal' ... it will raise less suspicion than the Gold!
Attachments
a silver medal.jpg
a silver medal.jpg (158.45 KiB) Viewed 230 times

FredC

Post by FredC » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:29 am

butlersrangers wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:52 pm
That is a super neat item, Whig!

I don't know, but, possibly it is a 'Third Place' shooting match or participant award, for a competition held in Norway in 1966.

It would be a real hoot to inlet it into the stock of a Krag to confuse posterity. :ugeek:

(If you have not already done so, it would be productive to post on Gunboards - Scandinavian, Danish, and U.S. Krags Forum).
I would sure think about inletting one of them if I had 2 of the medals. CarbonOutlaw is particularly skillful in stuff like that.

Bernt

Post by Bernt » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:29 pm

Your medal is a prize from the "Minneskyting" (memorial shoot) at the norwegian national match in 1966. The fieldshooting at the national match always starts with the "memorial shoot" in memory of some important persons or events. It's used to be 6 shots, but now I think it's 12, on a normal target on 100 meters. This is also the shooters chance to zero their rifles before the real competition starts.

Here's some others I found.

https://digitaltmuseum.no/021026487381/medalje
"For the 17th of may". That day in 1814, Norway got it's constitution and declared independence. It has since been our national day. The motive is from the famous battle at Trangen in 1808 were norwegian forces defeated the invading swedes. Capt. Drejer on the stump inspired his men to victory, but were hit by several bullets and died.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Trangen

https://digitaltmuseum.no/021026487424/medalje
The motive is a famous photo of the king and crownprince. Taken while they were hiding in the woods during a german bombraid in 1940.

https://digitaltmuseum.no/021026487405/medalje
Gen. Kierulf was in 1861, the first leader of the organization, that in 1893 became the "Det frivillege skyttervesen" (the voluntair shooters movement (or something like that)). The norwegian shooting association.

Whig

Post by Whig » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:36 pm

Bernt,

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for about this medal. It seems like only a few would have been made, from what you are saying. That's why
i couldn't find out much about it! This Krag medal is quite special, then. I like the history behind these important Norwegian medals.

Also, the guy who sold me the first one contacted me and said he had a second medal, exactly the same. I, of course, snatched it up from him right away. He sent it to me from Norway!.

Now I have a set of two for my Krag collection.

Thanks double!