Krags in the Movies

For poking fun and off topic subjects
Knute1

Re: Krags in the Movies

Post by Knute1 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:52 am

Sorry, no pictures with a Krag. Below are the only military pictures I know of. I am not sure when/where the first picture was taken. I am assuming it was during his first enlistment and was taken in Manila, Philippines (he also was sent to China for the Boxer Rebellion). He is wearing his Army Stetson hat and some new clothes he bought for a striking picture for back home. He had left for the Army without telling family until he wrote a letter that started out "I suppose you know by now that I am in the Army". He was a private and was a bugler. One of my uncles has the bugle, which I would at least like to get a picture of.
He was later a recruiter for the Great War and enlisted himself as a captain of a cavalry company. I believe the second picture would have been from that time period. His company was switched to a bombardment unit. He was honorably discharged at his request because as captain he could not perform the mathematics required for canon trajectory.

img

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:29 pm

Neat pictures, thanks for sharing!

boomer

Post by boomer » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:39 pm

I've seen most of these movies, some several times.  Now I'm going to have to watch them again to play 'spot the Krag'.  My wife is ecstatic ..... well anyway, she's going on about something ;D

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:23 am

I forgot!  :o

The Fighting Seabees (1944) John Wayne fires a captured Jap Krag. :D
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  [url=https://radio.securenetsystems.net/v5/index.cfm?stationCallSign=LWRN]Liberty Works Radio[/url]

Kerz

Post by Kerz » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:25 pm

Knute
Great story and pics!
Vic
Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

Knute1

Post by Knute1 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:56 am

Off topic, but to finish my great grandpa's story, here is a copy of a letter requesting his campaign badges after becoming a captain for the Great War. He apparently wanted them for his uniform when in full dress.

img

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:10 am

That is so cool.  Thanks for sharing!
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  [url=https://radio.securenetsystems.net/v5/index.cfm?stationCallSign=LWRN]Liberty Works Radio[/url]

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:10 pm

Wonderful Service medals and story.

Knute1

Post by Knute1 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:35 am

Glad you like the story. Meanwhile, back on the farm:
Can we include "Rough Riders " TV mini-series from 1997 with Tom Berenger and Sam Elliot? Not sure if it fits the definition of a movie, but it's darn close if it aint. It is a really great shoe!

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:03 am

I've been thinking on that one for a couple of years. On one hand, it is a movie with a Krag in it. But on the other hand, it is a war story based on real events, and not fiction, where it is expected to find a Krag if it is even close to being period correct. It is akin to expecting the Span-Am troops shooting Krags but finding M1903s or The Fighting Seabees where you expect the japs to use jap rifles and not Krags. Ahhhhh. Hollywood.

Perhaps an "honorable mention" catagory?